>Raffle Baffle

>Our 9th annual fund-raiser for the library is coming up and once again, I’m making raffle tickets for the event. We’ve only had a raffle for the last three years though. Each year I’m trying to be more efficient, because these raffle tickets are a buggar! Of course we have to print them in-house and according to the Minnesota Gambling board the raffle tickets need to be numbered both on the stub and the tear off part that the person gets.

Ok, so, first year: I use Indesign and set up a layout of 6 per page horizontally. I manually numbered each and every ticket (twice). The first page had #s 1-6, the second page had #s7-12, etc… Then after printing, we used a sewing machine to perforate them. Then cut them apart and collated them and stapled them in books of 10. Whew!

Second year: I used the same template but I got “smart” and numbered them differently. Instead of consequentially, I numbered them like this: first page – 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51. second page – 2,12,22,32,42,52, etc… After they were printed, they didn’t have to be collated! But I still had to hand number them, cut them and staple them in books of 10. Oh yeah, I also bought a perforation wheel for my paper cutter. That was so much easier than the sewing machine.

Third year: I thought I was being very smart this year and by all logic it should have worked excellent. I thought it would be very easy if I could get Word to “merge” the numbers to the tickets. So, after some trial and error, I finally figured it out. Since the tickets need to be numbered both on the stub and the tear-off part, I made two different templates with the numbers in the correct spots. I did have to make an excel spreadsheet with my numbers (one long column of 1,11,21,31,41,51,2.12.22.32,etc up to 60). Now, on screen it works great! Except now I have to run my paper through the printer twice to get the numbers printed. Usually that’s not a problem. First run through went great! YES! But hold on now, the second run-through, not so great. Paper jam! Crap! It ruined two of the sheets and therefore threw all my numbers off.

Back to the drawing board.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s