Tag Archives: fundraiser

Banned Books and Booze!

Banned Books and Booze, what a great combination! I am going to this!

rochpublibrary

Banned Books and Booze posterBanned Books Week (September 30 – October 6, 2012) celebrates the freedom to choose and the freedom to  express one’s opinion even if that opinion might be considered unorthodox or unpopular.  It also stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of those unorthodox or unpopular viewpoints to all who wish to read them.

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. ~ Ray Bradbury

We’re celebrating the right to read a little early with an Eat, Drink and be Literary event! Please join us for the whisky tasting fundraiser for the library. We only have 25 spaces left – online registration is required. Registration is $30/person or $50/couple. You may pay by PayPal until Tuesday, September 25, or by check (cash at the door ONLY if you have pre-registered).

In addition to the marvelous Glenfiddich whisky tasting (12 – 21 years) and the fabulous…

View original post 65 more words

>Thing #56 – Linked In (recap)

>I am guilty of being one of those people that started a Linked In account, because someone told me I should and then I ignored it because I didn’t know what to do with it.

Well, now that I revisited my account, updated it, and joined a few groups, my opinion of it has done a 360.

What can I say, I love Linked In.

I’m still not in the business of looking for a new career, but if I were, this would be where I would go. It was the groups that changed my mind. I found some groups to join that matched my interest and have joined in a few discussions. Already I have learned some new things that I want to try for my library. I’ve always wanted to beef up our YouTube channel, now I’m in contact with people who have experience in that and are sharing their knowledge with me. Excellent! I’m in contact with other people that use social media in different ways to advocate their non-profit organizations. Awesome! When I have a little more time I’m going to find some graphic design groups to join, maybe there are some specifically for non-profits or libraries!
If you haven’t given Linked In a chance yet, I highly recommend that you do. And don’t just create the account and ignore it like I did. Use it, learn from it, make new friends, get and give advice, share knowledge, etc. That’s what it’s for!

>Raffle Unbaffle

>Eureka! I have done it!
The successful raffle ticket numbering template. *Happy Dance!*

Once I figured out how the Word “Merge” thing really worked, it was really quite easy.

I still have to print out the un-numbered raffle tickets with Indesign, but then both sets of numbers can be printed from Word with only one run through the printer. That way if there is a jam, which is very likely, it doesn’t cause any problems with the numbering.

MS Word and Adobe Indesign don’t usually play well together, but today they made a huge breakthrough on teamwork.

>Raffle Baffle

>Our 9th annual fund-raiser for the library is coming up and once again, I’m making raffle tickets for the event. We’ve only had a raffle for the last three years though. Each year I’m trying to be more efficient, because these raffle tickets are a buggar! Of course we have to print them in-house and according to the Minnesota Gambling board the raffle tickets need to be numbered both on the stub and the tear off part that the person gets.

Ok, so, first year: I use Indesign and set up a layout of 6 per page horizontally. I manually numbered each and every ticket (twice). The first page had #s 1-6, the second page had #s7-12, etc… Then after printing, we used a sewing machine to perforate them. Then cut them apart and collated them and stapled them in books of 10. Whew!

Second year: I used the same template but I got “smart” and numbered them differently. Instead of consequentially, I numbered them like this: first page – 1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51. second page – 2,12,22,32,42,52, etc… After they were printed, they didn’t have to be collated! But I still had to hand number them, cut them and staple them in books of 10. Oh yeah, I also bought a perforation wheel for my paper cutter. That was so much easier than the sewing machine.

Third year: I thought I was being very smart this year and by all logic it should have worked excellent. I thought it would be very easy if I could get Word to “merge” the numbers to the tickets. So, after some trial and error, I finally figured it out. Since the tickets need to be numbered both on the stub and the tear-off part, I made two different templates with the numbers in the correct spots. I did have to make an excel spreadsheet with my numbers (one long column of 1,11,21,31,41,51,2.12.22.32,etc up to 60). Now, on screen it works great! Except now I have to run my paper through the printer twice to get the numbers printed. Usually that’s not a problem. First run through went great! YES! But hold on now, the second run-through, not so great. Paper jam! Crap! It ruined two of the sheets and therefore threw all my numbers off.

Back to the drawing board.